Thursday, May 04, 2006

Canon 30D Digital Camera Lens choices!

For anyone who has purchased a digital camera lately, particularly a Canon, Nikon or Olympus with a non-full frame sensor, you understand the frustration with picking lenses. I am one of those frustrated souls. I recently bought a Canon 30D, with the bundled junky 18-55mm lens (anyone want to buy it? never used it). Well for the last two weeks or so I've researched lenses on Popular Photography and other onlines sites searching for answers.

The problem with the Canon Rebel XT, 20D, 30D is that they magnify everything by 1.6X. So a perfectly good Canon 24-70mm L lens is now 38-112mm. This is great if you want zoom, but not so great if you want wider. Canon is starting to make a 17-55mm f2.8 lens, but not being an L class lens, its hard to justify the $1200 or so.

After all my angst, here's what I've decided upon: 1. A Canon 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 (special to XT, 20D, and 30D), 2. A Canon 50mm f1.4 (Portrait), and 3. a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Why Tamron you say?? Well having tried the bulky and expensive ($1200) Canon 24-70mm f2.8 and tested next to the Tamron, I much prefer the lighter, and extremely fast and sharp Tamron. Only thing I prefer on the Canon is the USM auto-focusing is quieter, and faster.

Well, that's just me, I'm sure you have your choices as well. A friend of mine swears he is going to the 17-55 f2.8 lens, but then again, we'll see how those new lenses perform.

For now, I can't wait till my order comes in with the new lenses, stay tuned...


No comments: