Saturday, May 13, 2006

Vibrant morning air

This morning I woke up at 7am (early for me on a Saturday) to setup Ghenki's birthday party spot in the park near our house. Knowing that the early bird catches the best spot near the swings and playarea, I tumbled out of bed and headed towards the park with tablecovers in hand.

Lately I have always been pleasantly surprised by how fresh and vibrant the morning air feels. This may sound silly to country dwellers, but if you live in a metropolitan area, you know what the rest of the day is like. The air here in Northern California certainly is better than LA, but to me, it is amazing that each morning the air has such a vital quality to it.

As I setup the tabletops at the park, many local Chinese elderly people walked by, enjoying the warm air. It reminded me of my time living in Taiwan and seeing many people waking up early and walking in the hills, "sunning" their birds, practicing Tai Chi, or just breathing in the vitality. According to Taoism, morning time is when the "Yang" energy is the strongest, and evening (when the moon is out), "Yin" energy is the strongest. The concept of Yin and Yang is about a balance of energy in your body. Too much of one kind and you are out of balance, leading to sickness or unhappiness. For instance, not enough "Yang" energy can lead to weak lungs, colds, etc. As my Chinese Doctor always said, too much Yin energy can lead to poor health.

Simply speaking on a "sense" feeling comparing the energy of evening with early morning, I can say they feel completely different. Last nite at 10pm, Naoko, Ghenki and I went for a half hour walk under the full moon. The air was nice, calm and the walk peaceful. This morning, the air was crisp, powerful, and provided a deep sense of focus (but still feeling calm at the same time). It is not easy to describe, but I definitely suggest trying it! Perhaps there is something to 3000+ years of wisdom found in the Chinese culture.

No comments: