Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Liberating the Soul with Breathing

Many years ago I was introduced to the idea of being conscious about breathing by a Doctor friend of mine when I was 18 years old. He put forward the idea that most of us live our life breathing by habit and controlled by emotions. As a result, the breath becomes shallow, done through the chest only, which in turn affects our health and well-being.

At first I was a bit skeptical, but I accepted his logic, and started on a quest to breath deeper, in through the diaphram (stomach area, the Chinese call it "Dan-tien"), and each breath longer in and out. I found after awhile I was more conscious of my breathing, and eventually by habit started breathing in from my diaphram, and much deeper each time. After awhile it was like I simply slowed down, everything, my life, my breath, my whole self. It was quite astounding the transformation. Looking back in my life, it is interesting that when I changed my breathing patterns, my entire life changed after that. At the time I was devoutly religious (Christian), but over the years, all that was swept away.

In a sense I like to think that breathing liberated my true soul. In the East, many sayings talk about life starting with a breath in and ending with a breath out. Life and death exist in a breath. Each breath is a microcosm of our entire life and death. Looking back, I see how truly powerful breathing was to my life.

If you have a chance, I strongly recommend reading the book called "The Science of Breath". It is one of those books I often re-read, and discover new things. Over the years, I constantly find myself reading books, or articles, that help me re-focus on my own breathing. Doing Yoga --> focuses my mind on breathing. Walking --> focus on breathing. Life ups and downs --> focus on breathing. Breath is the fuel that keeps us all going, not just the oxygen, but also the mental focus, emotional balance and deep breathing gives.

Deep, consistent breathing insures the mind is calm, focused, and emotions at the center. No matter how difficult your life, how much stress, how horrible the situation seems, when you focus your mind on breathing, all that passes, deep calm comes, and your emotions are stabilized.

Try it the next time you have a chance. Breath in deeply through your nose for 5 seconds, breath out slowly for 5 seconds through your nose. After awhile you won't even count, you will just sense the right feeling. Each breath will become deeper, longer, and richer. The world will seem lighter, your body will feel lighter, and each moment will seem like it has expanded.

No comments: